This year I posted my New Years Resolutions — the vast majority of my goals were fitness related. One of which was to join a DietBet — and win! Well, I forked over $35 committing to lose 4% of my body weight in 4 weeks. And, guess what — I did it! I had a lot of help from the Tone It Up Love Your Body series as well as the Blogilates 12 week total body makeover meal plan. I was able to lose 6.4 lbs and GAIN $11.31! Pretty amazing right? There were definitely times where I was kept strong/motivated to not cheat because I had committed this money. No one likes to lose money, and so it was the perfect motivator. If you need a little extra motivation in your weight loss journey, try a DietBet! I’ll definitely keep y’all posted as I wrap up the Love Your Body series and set new fitness goals.
How do you stay motivated to lose weight or work out?
Don’t forget to check out my Fabulous February giveaway!
Mèreadesso All-In-One Moisturizer — somehow this sample got completely lost since my SEPTEMBER 2013 Birchbox?! (Yes, crazy, told you I have too many samples). Well I fished it out while I was looking for a moisturizer sampler and HOLY COW. This is the most perfect thing I’ve ever put on my face. It’s a moisturizer, toner, eye cream, and makeup primer all in one. It makes my foundation flawless, and moisturizes my combination skin perfectly. I actually received the travel size which has lots of uses. I’m currently trying super hard to save the other half for summer to see if it works on my skin then too. In the meantime I’m trying to save up my Birchbox points, because $120 is too much. Hopefully in the meantime I’ll find something I like more, but… This is amazing. For real. Found at Birchbox.
BareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick in Speak Your Mind — I received this in my lip sampler Sephora favorites set for Christmas, and I love it! I wear it as an any day lip and it goes with practically everything. Plus it lasts forever! Found here.
Camille Beckman Glycerine Hand Therapy in Midnight Monarch — I got a sample of this last winter in my Birchbox, and I pulled it back out again this winter. My hands get super chapped and dry, to the point of even skin breaking and bleeding. (I wash my hands a lot since I work in a hospital.) But this hand cream is some of the best I’ve ever tried, it does my skin wonders! I would be lost without it in winter. Available from Birchbox here.
The Love Your Body Series — by Tone It Up! This has been an amazing way to motivate myself and keep active. So far I’ve lost 4+ lbs.. Pretty amazing! If you’ve never tried Tone It Up, try it out here.
Perfect Fit Protein by Tone It Up in Cinnamon Roll — I like the vanilla protein a lot, but the cinnamon roll flavor is amazing! Tone It Up also has an amazing cinnamon roll mug cake recipe on their website too. Available online here.
This was my very first ever FabFitFun box. I received the Winter box this week, after signing up in December. And I have to say: I am in LOVE! I already receive Birchbox, as you’ve probably seen in my previous unboxings, but this is very different and I think I love it more. I’m not considering unsubbing from Birchbox, because I like getting things monthly. The FabFitFun box unfortunately only comes 4x a year. So, for now, I’ll just be enjoying..both! Here’s what I got in my Winter FabFitFun box…
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive: I received a tiny jar of this in my Birchbox and used every last drop. So I was really excited to get a full size! I used it already and I love the way my skin feels after. Retail: $39
- Half United Fighting Hunger Necklace: This necklace is super cute, it’s shaped like a bullet shell/casing/whatever (I’m uneducated in bullet terminology, sorry). Each necklace donates 7 meals to those who are fighting hunger across the world, too, so I love that! Retail: $34
- Zumba 60 min DVD “Max” & $25 Gift Card: I’m SO excited about this DVD! I am getting really tired of running as my cardio, and so I’m pumped to have a fun cardio alternative. I burned __ calories in 60 mins! I’ve also already used my $25 gift card. You get free shipping, so I bought a $22 adorable top. Score! Retail: $55
- Passport to Beauty Tibetan Goji Berry Intense Anti-aging Eye Serum with Retinol: This is a ginormous thing of eye cream, and I have a feeling it’s going to last me forever! I have tons to try out (way too many samples, remember?) and so it may take me some time to get around to this one.
- Daniel Stone COCO Candle: I’m a candle FIEND. This smells AMAZING. It’s made of coconut oil or something or other but I would love it either way. It’s literally been lit the entire time since I opened this box. Retail: $42
- yourMinerals Assorted EyeShadow Duo: These are loose powder eyeshadows, and I like the colors. They’re not my most favorite, but I think they’re nice and light and wintery, and I could get away with wearing them to work. So that’s nice! Retail: $44
- Salted — 3 months of Free Membership: I didn’t know what Salted was before this box, but it’s essentially Netflix + Cooking for Dummies. Hello, I’m a cooking dummie! So this is going to be super helpful for me. I’ve already watched a couple of short clips, and I’ve already learned a lot. I can’t wait to keep learning and expand my skills throughout the next three months!! Retail: $29.97
- Lather AHA Hand Creme with Evening Primrose: This is a giant. Tub. Of wonderful amazing smelling hand cream. I can’t stop using it! Can’t stop won’t stop! It’s going to last me FOREVER. Retail: $30 (they should charge more for this)
- $30 Fashion Project Gift Card with Free Shipping: This is one of the few things I wasn’t super pumped about, mainly because when I went to the website, most everything was over $30. Retail: $18 (I don’t get the value here but alright.)
- Organic Valley Organic Balance Milk Protein Shake: I love protein! It’s also lactose free. Retail: $2.99
- Justin’s Classic Almond Butter: I already knew I loved this. Thanks for the to-go pack! Retail: $0.63
- Special K Snack Bar: I love snackies! I love Special K! Retail: not included in total
This entire box, which you can get for $49, is worth a total of $383.59 — amazing! I was skeptical when I signed up, but I have to admit, I’m in love! If you’re interested in signing up, click here, and use the promo code FALL5 for $5 off and free shipping!
Are you subscribed to the FabFitFun box? What’s your favorite thing you’ve gotten?
For months I’ve been trying to decide whether or not I should buy a Polar HR monitor. Around the time I was going to cave and get one, Fitbit announced they were going to (eventually) release a Fitbit HR monitor. I waited and waited for months! And finally this January they released the Charge HR monitor.. Which I bought on the spot. (Oops, I’m obsessive.) And I have to say.. I love it!
My friend who does have a polar watch and I have compared calories burnt in yoga class. Her polar claims she has burned 200 ish calories while mine hovers around 150. It is possible our bodies are that different, but I’m also willing to accept the Fitbit is slightly less accurate since it is a peripheral monitor. That’s okay with me though — I love the step tracking, stair flights counting, and daily calories burnt features of fitbit. One new thing about the Fitbit Charge HR is that it uses your HR to track your sleep. That has been amazingly accurate for me so far — it even catches me when I accidentally take naps on the couch. (Oops!)
I did have one incident where the Charge HR just up and died on me — without even a low battery warning! The battery is supposed to last 5-8 days, depending on how many activities you track — and about 3 days in to a charge I tracked 2+ hours of activity, and it died sometime that night. Since then, though, the battery hasn’t gone down nearly as rapidly — I’m thinking it was just a fluke of the new battery.
All in all, I’m super pleased with the new Fitbit Charge HR — if you’ve been considering getting one, I would definitely recommend it!
RunKeeper — this is one of the more detailed running apps I’ve encountered. It provides a lot of detail on your runs that are GPS tracked, including splits and change in elevation. I also use it to keep track of the Tone It Up running challenges (i.e., 100 miles to run between Jan 1st and Feb 14th) and it shows progress in that challenge. If you run on a treadmill often, it’s also easy to log those miles as well.
C25K Free — this app is the only way I am now able to run! I started this Jan of 2014 having never run a mile before. I’ve run 2 5ks with this app! And, what I really like about it, is if you fall off the running wagon, it’s really easy to find a spot within the program that is within your limits, and then it will help you work your way back up from there.
GymPact — I was super skeptical of this app at first, but after using it for several weeks.. It works! Basically, you agree to work out a certain number of days a week (or eat a certain number of vegetables in a week). By checking in to your gym, or wearing your phone on an arm band, getting 10,000+ steps on a fitbit, or running with RunKeeper or another partner app for 30+ mins, you have “worked out” that day. You agree to pay a certain penalty for missing a day. And then everyone who meets their goal splits the penalty money collected. On average, I’ve earned about $1.00 to $1.50 a week. Which is very insignificant, I know — but the point is to avoid the penalty (and it’s worked, it’s motivated me very well!).
Fitbit — Obviously you need a Fitbit to fully enjoy this app (sorry!) but it is one of my favorites by far. As everyone knows I’m sure, it tracks your steps, but also stairs, calories burned in a day, and now (with my new Charge HR) my heart rate. If you’re dieting you can also set a weight loss goal, and fitbit will custom calculate how many calories you can eat based on how many you’ve burned with your day’s activity. It’s super handy! Especially because you can log your meals in their app as well.
Tone It Up — you’ll only love this app if you love Tone It Up. You can access their blog updates, EVERY workout, and recipes here. BUT the thing I love most is if you follow their workout schedules, you can go to the “Sweat” tab at the bottom, and it lists all the workouts you’re supposed to do for the day. INCLUDING the videos which you can watch in the app AND printables which give detailed instructions, so you can just take your phone with you to the gym! It’s definitely been a game changer for me & helped me stick to Tone It Up.
Click any of the links or icons above to view these apps in the iTunes App Store.
Have you tried any of these apps? What are your favorites?
What the heck is a Whistle, you may ask? It’s like a Fitbit… for your dog. Since I love my Fitbit, I had heard musings about it on the internet this whole last year. But for Christmas, my boyfriend and I received one for our dog.
I have to say, it’s pretty cute.
It does have its perks though. It has medication reminders! That is my favorite feature I believe. I am terrible about when it’s time to give flea medicine every month, but this has been very helpful. I’ve also noticed that sometimes it even motivates me to be more active, which can be really handy. If Maverick has had a super lazy day, I’ll usually get off my butt and walk him..
When we first got the Whistle, my boyfriend and I were very excited to see what all Maverick did while we were at school. Our dog is pretty energetic and loves chasing squirrels. Our first day back to school we thought the thing was BROKEN because it registered ZERO activity once we left. Turned out our seemingly energetic, spunky dog turns into a huge lazy bum the second we walk out the door. Which is not only funny but helpful, so we know to play with him more when we get home so he doesn’t get too bored with life!
Would I buy one for myself? Probably not. They are on the pricier side. Is it super fun? Yes! Surprisingly so!
Should you get one? Do you treat your dog like a first born child? If the answer to the latter question is yes, then I think you would love one too. (Okay, so maybe I have a little bit of a dog problem…)
Do you have a Whistle? Do you love it?
As I mentioned in a a previous post, the Tone It Up Love Your Body challenge is an amazing way to kick it up a notch heading in to the new year. One part of the challenge is also night time goals that are more for your mental well-being. Sticking to them brings amazing things your way, even when they sound silly! This one isn’t that silly of a goal though: it’s committing to a 5k (or race distance of your preference).
And not just saying oh yeah, I’ll run a 5k by this date — LITERALLY hand over MONEY to enter a race locally! For me it makes a huge difference in my training. I am MUCH more motivated to go out and run when I have a race looming up ahead.
So, I did it! This isn’t my first 5k, as I’ve written about before, but I love committing to one every time. I’m really excited to kick things in to high gear, and this race will help keep me motivated! After all, gotta hit those 100 miles by Vday!
Any of y’all sign up for a race too?
Have you heard of Tone It Up? If not, and you’re looking for a fitness routine for the new year, I’m about to blow your mind! Tone it up does a yearly 6 week challenge from Jan 1st until Valentine’s Day which is centered around pushing yourself, mentally and physically, to treat your body right! I am SO excited to get started this year!
Visit their website if you want to participate. I’m going to be blogging a little bit more about it specifically during the next six weeks.. You should too! I’ll use the wordpress Tag “Love Your Body”. Even MORESO, though, I will be doing daily check-ins on INSTAGRAM! (These enter you to win prizes, ya know ;)). Click HERE to follow my Fitness Instagram!
In addition to this, I’m going to be participating in the Sea Shells & Sit Ups Tums & Guns challenge! Her blog has quickly become one of my favorites because she is so Tone It Up oriented, I love it. Check her website out to get amazingly helpful calendars and planners. SO organized, SO perfect for my OCD. 😉
Will you be participating??
It’s that time of the year again! New Years Resolutions! I was fairly successful at achieving my goals this past year, so with that momentum, I’m gonna try and kick 2015 off on the right foot!
- Complete the Tone It Up Love Your Body series — YES, a 6 week commitment of working out EVERY day! But I love love love the TIU series. They’re FREE! And give away tons of prizes. If you’ve never done one, I highly recommend jumping on board for this one! Starts on January 1st. 🙂 I will post again about this tomorrow — I’m setting up a Tone It Up/Fitness Instagram so we can all be in this together! More details on that to come.
- Go to a Yoga class once a week — I really need to work on my flexibility.. Especially while running and lifting so much.
- Follow the Blogilates 12 week transformation meal plan during the Love Your Body series. This meal plan came with the Fitness Journal last new years, and I still have it saved on my computer. It WORKED y’all. And I wasn’t starving all the time! I don’t know if you can steal purchase this one, but I think she has similar ones. While Blogilates does do workout schedules, I much prefer Tone It Up’s… I’m not really sure why?
- Join a DietBet — and WIN! I did this last new years, it was 4 weeks to lose 5% of your weight. I put $30 in the pot; got my money back, and $15 on top of it! It was a perfect way to keep me motivated and make some money. Now that I know I can do it, I’m definitely willing to put more money in to the pot, in order to get more out! 😉
- Be more positive — I’m kind of a negative nancy, so this is something I think I should really work on. Being healthy and active REALLY helps my attitude though, so hopefully this will come with all the things above!
What are some of your New Years’ Resolutions??